Sunday, June 15, 2014

Letter from Sister Tiffany Johnson June 9, 2014

 Well to start I'll share with you the trial that happened at the
beginning of the week. We were at the church using the internet to
update lessons.  I had to use the bathroom so I slipped the phone into
my cardigan pocket and went. When I got up to flush the toilet I
leaned just a little to forward and my phone came toppling out and
crashed landed inside the toilet right at the moment I flushed. It was
sucked up into the pipe opening.  I with my cat like reflexes threw my
hand in there and down the pipe and happened to catch it before it had
gotten to far. My broken finger happened to be bent in such a way that
it could scoot the phone out. (There's onw benefit of my finger still
not being fixed) I washed my hands about a thousand times and began
praying. We got home and there was no rice in our cupboards to dry the
phone out with. So we went to our neighbors, none of them had rice.
What is wrong with people. But then I remember an active member lives
right behind us. I knew she would have some. We were able to get rice
from her and left our phone in the rice for 24 hours in hopes it would
dry. It was a long day spent trying to get our oil changed in redding
with out a phone. It just seemed like one of those days that nothing
went right.
    The next morning I got ready for the day and then grabbed my rice
bag phone and began to pray. I prayed for the miracle that our phone
could be fixed so that we can continue to help his children in this
area. I felt like it had to work we needed it to do the work
efficiently. So I then reassembled the phone said another quick prayer
and hit the power button. Nothing. I thought maybe I didn't hit it
hard enough. Still nothing. Maybe I should hit the button
repetitively, nothing. Then a thought popped into my mind. Maybe the
battery is dead. So I ran and put it on the charger. After study's I
went to check on my phone feeling spiritual up lifted and confident. I
went to turn it on but my phone was super hot to the touch. Than I
looked at the screen and it was completely fogged up and steaming. I
believed I totally fried it. I was upset with myself knowing that this
was going to make thing very difficult and stressful. But the work has
to go on. So we set off for work with no phone. Everyone appointment
we had or member we ran into asked why we didn't respond or something
about the phone. I had to reply with what happened. They would laugh
and tease me. I quickly realized I had two options I could be
embarrassed and allow it to hurt my feelings or just join in on the
the jokes and laughter. I chose the latter. It was still frustrating
that we couldn't call people or get our messages but getting upset
wasn't going to help.
     My companion and I decided there had to be something good come
out of this trial. So we prayed to find out what. We knew god could
have easily fixed my phone but he didn't and we were determined to
find out why. Tuesday evening we had a lesson with Laura who has a
testimony of the church but is scared to make the change. She is also
sweet but very timid  and reserved. When I had to explain to her why I
couldn't call her she broke out into laughter. I had never seen her
genuinely laugh or smile so big. I was in shock. After the lesson I
sat in the car feeling completely happy seeing Laura laugh.
My companion and I decided that was worth losing our phone. It was a
beautiful sight and the spirit was so strong after hearing her laugh.
But knowing Our father in heaven there has to be multiple reasons why
this happened to our phone so hear our some more reasons we came up
with: it was a great conversations starter that broke the ice, it made
the entire ward laugh, people tried to help and give us there phone,
we became more appreciative of the phone and modern day confidences we
have, we were able to miss out on hearing a nasty voice mail that a
man had left on our phone and I am sure many more. Though it was a
challenging week going with out our phone. It taught me a lot. I loved
getting to come up with new jokes about our situations and hearing the
jokes the people we work with came up with. I feel even more loved by
them though they know I am imperfect and a blonde. The trial still
continues as we still don't have our phone back but we at least have a
phone from the mission off that we are borrowing.
        Life is short and we are going to continually have lemons
thrown at us. It's up to us what we are going to do with them, I
intend on making lemonade and enjoying the blessing to follow.
        To update you on the work... Things are still going great up
here. Marcos ended up pushing back his date to the 22nd which was
truly for the best. I have learned that it's not about pushing people
into the font but about preparing them to take this first step closer
to God. Helping them understand the importance of these things and how
it is a life long process. Marcos is figuring that out and finally
applying the lesson to his life. He finally started reading the Book
of Mormon and loves it. He comes to church and comments in class. When
he walks down the hall now it is with a new found confidence that he
knows he belongs there. He is on top of the world and happy to be
there. The ward loves him because he is so friendly and genuinely
sweet. I have always liked working with him because he is respectful.
However this week in our lesson I actually learned about his past and
have a huge respect for him and what he's gone through. Turns out he
was abandoned by his parents at a really young age and lived on the
streets he resorted to steeling and doing things he internally felt
wrong about. He was living in San Rosa and had bad influences around
him. But for some reason that never spoiled him. When we teach him I
have never heard him complain, he is the first one to step up to help
with what ever anyone needs, he is also appreciative of any kindness
shown to him. And when he shared his store it wasn't to gain pity but
to say I am not worthy of baptism. I was touched by his strength. He
had full right to be angry at the world and at God and yet didn't. His
"father" figure just passed away a few months ago and what did he do,
he turned to God. He asked us how he can make right the wrongs in his
past. How does he apologizes for the people he never met that he stole
from. I thought about it and said by completely changing your ways
now. Turning to go and repenting of those thing and then go out and
help other do the same. Be an example to those around you, stand as a
witness to God. To me Marcos is an example of a man who is an expert
at making lemonade out of all his lemons. He is pleased to announce he
will be baptized in 2 weeks.
         Glenn is also excited to be able to show his faith to God
and be baptized as well. Though Glenn and Marcos don't really know
each other just stories about each other they are excited to share the
date with one another. Glenn just returned home from vacation his
health is still going down but he continues to push through and stay
positive. He knows he doesn't have much time on the earth but what is
most important is that he makes the most of what he's got left. He
made his wife listen to the Book of Mormon on the way to Idaho and she
listened. she is starting to soften towards us and maybe will start
letting us teacher her. She helped Glenn understand some of the verse
and he said she comprehends it pretty well. I am just happy that he is
doing well and his faith is staying strong. This coming baptism will
be truly a special time. I feel truly honored to be apart of there
conversion story, I have been humbled by there stories.
          So now you can see how can I have any room to complain
about not having a phone when I have great men of God who have and are
going through a lot more than that and ar choosing to being
optimistic. I know they feel like I was called here to teach them but
I know the truth, I was called hear to be taught by them. I am
thankful for this, that I am able to be an instrument in The Lords
hand. To be able to receive the blessing of having great faithful
people to call my friends.
        Love sister Johnson.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment