Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Letter from Sister Tiffany Johnson, July 14, 2014

 Hello,
     Its another week in the Sunny Corning area. Transfers came and went. Staying the same has its pluses and minuses. So lets keep positive and say more positives than negatives. Such as at least I
didn't have to pack, I didn't have to worry about meeting new people, I already know my companion etc. But most importantly God wants us to be together in this area for a third of my mission so I will trust that he knows best and this is the best step for us, to stay and continue working together.  We set some new goals and openly talked to each other about things that we need to change so that we don't end up fighting or becoming angry with each other.  We want to stay friends and keep the work progressing. Thats are goal so thats whats going to happen.
     
     The week was pretty good. The young women are back from girls camp and are literally calling us to come out with us. Finding members to come out is the opposite problem of everyone else we have to many and we are trying to find the ones that would work best with our investigators. But its really nice seeing the young women and members get so excited about missionary work. We talk to them about ways they could help and they have been doing them. Inviting friends to meet with us, having dinner parties to invite our investigators too, and offer rides to church to those we teach. Our recent converts love the ward and are the popular hot topics. They are always included and now go out and tell others about how happy they are that they joined the church. That this really is there ward family.
   
     Member missionary work really is a blessing it allows us to be more like our Savior because that is what he did. He was always teaching the people and inviting the to join him. So if we really have
faith in him and really want to become like him than we wont just serve a mission for 18-24 months but we will truly deticate our lives to serving Gods children. Its doesn't have to be a big thing of going out and teaching the first discussion. But it can be small and simple things of just inviting your friends to come to your home for a dinner and allow them to feel the spirit in your home. The people that we teach that accept this message easier are those that have known members and have had good experiences with them. You never know the people you will affect just by being in there presence.
  
   I really learned this Tuesday while we were visiting our less active Allysha who is 18 and has a baby. She has started coming back to church over the last month and really enjoys it. She is loved by
the ward and seems really happy to make changes in her life. She has facial piercings. tattoos, and the first time I saw her she was smoking.  We hadn't taught her yet about the word of wisdom. But when
we were talking with her she said "I remember the first time I really talked to you sisters, you came up and I was smoking. I had a baby and had piercings and tattoos. But you both were so sweet to me and didn't seem phased by the way I was living life. I couldn't get over how official I must have looked to you and though I never felt judged by you I knew I needed to change. That was the last time I ever smoked."  So I didn't know that but that means she has been about 2 months clean of smoking. I was shocked and so happy to hear the changes she has been making. She has also been reading the Book of Mormon, and knows she needs to take some of her piercings out.  She has come to church multiples times and is working on going back to school and finding a job. She has the desire to change her life. Though we have said things that have helped her the real thing that
got her to change was our presence. Which we know as the spirit that we bring working through us to touch her.  That is what you can do for those around you. You can change and affect people and never realize it. That is why it is so important to really think about every action or thing we do. Is it worth it, will it change the way people look at me, is this really representing Jesus Christ well? Because wether we like it our not everything we do affects the way people see this church.

        Amanda is another investigator that I have just grown to love so much. Last Sunday she decided to give up smoking. I am please and proud to annouce she is a week clean. But we had a funny experience with her that really helped us actually help her in the end.  Thursday we had a lesson with her. We brought our recent convert Emily with us. When Amanda opened the door she had an awkward smile and said "hey guys come on in". When I stepped inside I realized why. She was having a suprise inspection from her probation officers. There were four of them searching through her home and we just had to sit there awkwardly while they searched everything. After they left she laughed and said how embarrassed she was. But I already suspected that she was on probation by the things she had said in the past. It was great because now I could ask the questions I needed to ask and it wouldn't be as awkward. I found out what she had done and that she would be on probation til 2017 but she could get off sooner if she does everything she needs too. I knew that this ment we were going to not be able to allow her to be baptized on the 20th which she has really been working for. I didn't know how to break it to her or how to tell her.   I told her I don't have all the answers but I was going to find out.
  
      I was able to talk to the mission president about this, he is truly an inspired man that I have really grown to love. He counseled with me on things that I need to do and ask and the steps we need to
take to help Amanda progress towards baptism. He said to teach her about priesthood and how that its the first presidency that will need to approve her getting baptized. That they hold that proper priesthood authority and will pray specifically about her and ask God.
       
     To be honest I was nervous to go back and to explain these things to her. I didn't want to hurt her feelings and tell her that its going to be a long process and that the first presidency has to approve her. So I prayed and prayed for a way that I could explain it to her to make sence. I didn't want it to be confusing or sound judgmental.

       But we walked in and began talking; I felt a feeling to pull up a picture of Christ being baptized and talked about the importance of being fully repentant before being baptized and how it needs to be
done by the someone holding the priesthood. She stopped me and said that reminds me of a question. She asked how someone got the priesthood and other questions about it. I was so happy because that
led perfectly to what we had to teach her about her being able to be baptized.

   After explaining it to her she looked at me and said "hum... I guess thats alright. I mean I feel like I am becoming repentant that God is forgiving me. So if this prophet and other men are really praying to God then they will get the same answer. So I am okay to wait and to work with them. I guess the extra time will just help me find out if all these things are true." I was so relieved and happy. She also bore her testimony about how much this gospel has changed her. She knows she was always a good person but wasn't always making the best choices. By meeting with us she has been able to do that. She now is becoming the person she always wanted to be. She never thought she could quit smoking. But she has and is determined to continue. She can't say that the church is true yet but she wants to. Shes been reading and is still waiting for her answer to know all these things true.
     
     But now I need your prayers. Glenn is going to be getting baptized this Saturday. However, his health has taken a turn for the worst. He is literally on his death bed. He has kidney failure, now is
low on red blood cells, and has some sort of the flu. He can't really eat and is getting weaker everyday. His dying wish is to be baptized. I pray that he can make it there. I don't know how much longer he has on this earth but I know that he is doing good in Gods eyes because of his desires. He is so amazing and I just love his spirit and his willingness to keep fighting even though his entire body is giving up on him. I will keep you posted on him in the following week.  I love you all and know that this is truly the lords work I am so blessed to be his servant and thankful for the opportunity he gives me to learn and grow.

        LOVE Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment