Tuesday, September 9, 2014

"Guess What.......I Crashed" Letter from Sister Tiffany Johnson

This week... Well it's been one of trials. I can't explain the
emotions I have felt over the week because they have been all over the
place. However, my lasting impression from the week is gratitude. I
realize, though I always knew that people are not perfect, we can not
control the things that are happening around us. But we can control
our attitude and the way we respond to what is happening. This week I
have really had to do that.
     To start we found an amazing new investigator. Her name is Gigi,
she is 18 and married to a man in prison. She has had a rough life and
gotten her self into some addictions. We found her while visiting
Neal. She has been living with Neal's family since she is all alone
now. The first thing she said to us was. "What church do you go to?"
We explained. She then replied. "I will be there on Sunday" and left
with a friend. It was so fast that we weren't able to get a phone
number or confirm how she was getting to church. So I felt like we
needed to still work on the street where she lived while I just prayed
that she would come back. Then as we began to leave I looked up and
there she was smiling and walking towards us. I basically ran to her
and got her contact information. We set up a return appointment for
Saturday and went on our way. It was an amazing experience and to top
it off Saturday was a great lesson with her as well. She was still
confident that she would be at church even if she had to walk and she
also wanted our help to live the word of wisdom. To me she was a
"golden investigator".
      Sunday came and there Gigi was at church ready and excited to
learn more about what we believe. She loved watching the deacons pass
the sacrament. But all missionaries fears came true. The Sunday she of
coarse came was fast and testimony meeting. And yep it was the kind
even members cringe to hear. This couple got up and shared how much
they love each other and have been together for 61 years and that they
went to Hawaii this year. It was the opposite of spiritual, I am
not even sure God was mentioned. Then the talks to follow were just as
disrupted. They, while on the stand, called out people, shared odd
stories and bore everything but a testimony. A little more than half
way through she walks out saying she has to go to the bathroom.
However, she never returned. We got a text message after the meeting
explaining how disconnected she felt, that it was so noisy in there
and she just couldn't feel the spirit or comfortable. I never have had
an investigator literally get scared off before like that. It was so
disheartening. My companion and I struggled to stay positive during
the rest of church. Then we went to ward council and they each picked
on each other. There was a lot of contention in the room about who's
doing who's calling and who's wasting time. Then when we explained
what happened to Gigi they thought she was just being sensitive. But I
totally agree with her. I would have been freaked out too.
          Don't worry we aren't giving up on Gigi we are going to
bend the rules and have her go to the singles ward though she is
married. We talked with the singles ward and hey were super excited to
fellowship her.
            To added to the emotional pains we were going through and
striving to stay positive and continue working I crashed. We were
riding home, it was about 9pm and we were going down a hill. I would
say we were going pretty fast, when I looked up and saw the light
quickly change to yellow I was so close to the intersection that it
scared me and I instinctively grabbed the brake. However, I squeezed
the front brake hard and threw myself over my bike. I landed head
first and my bike came crashing on me. I lost my shoes, scratched my
bike and got a few new bruises that are huge. However, the miracle is
that my helmet is a little big so when I fell it covered my face
perfectly were I hit. Leaving me with zero scares or pains on my head.
While my companion was screaming out for me. I jumped up. Grabbed my
bike and began riding again. A member saw and checked to see if I was
okay. I reassured him and continued riding. My companion and I laughed
the entire way home as we talked about how silly I must have looked
and how crazy our day was.
           Though I have what seems to be a baseball coming out of my
thigh which stings. I am fine. The funny part is that I have a scar
on my knee from surgery which looks like an elephant. Sadly from the
accident the road scrapped off one of the "eyes" of my elephant so now
I really do not have an elephant scary which makes me sad. :)
               The thing is, it's a tender mercy of The Lord that I
wasn't  more injured and that my companion and I can laugh about the
things that happened. Because the fact of the matter is I can't change
what happened today no matter how upset I could get over it. I can't
go back in time. But I can look back at the lessons learned and smile
because I know that God is still with me and still teaching me. The
mission is to try us. I will not give up nor allow things out of my
control to affect my work. I love this gospel too much and being a
missionary to stop now. Through everything, even though I haven't
mentioned we still made a record of most lessons taught in the week
for this area for the last few months. It's been what people like to
call a dry area. But my companion and I like to say an area ready to
grow.
                 The biggest tender mercy though was after all the
craziness I received an email from my recent convert Emily. She bore
an amazing testimony that almost brought me to tears. I want to share
it with you now so you can feel the same spirit. She plans on going on
her mission next year. She has been a member for about three months
but it sounds like a lot longer. Below is her own words.


I just would like to say that I know that this gospel is true it
brings a smile to my face when I write this, it brings so much joy to
my heart that I think I never have felt. It is so amazing to have this
gospel, to know that our Heavenly Father loves us so much that I can't
imagine it, to know that Jesus Christ loves us so much that he
suffered for us so we once again can be in Heavenly Father's kingdom.
To also know that the atonement is there for us when we mess up
because I am not perfect and I need the atonement, to know that we can
be clean once again we just have to repent and know that the atonement
is there for us. I know that this gospel blesses lives it has blessed
my life so much that  I am so grateful for everything that has
happened to me good or bad because I can always learn from it. I know
that when I am feeling down He will comfort me , when I am worried He
will give me peace and when I feel lonely He will let me feel His
love. I would be lost without these feelings of the Holy Ghost, and I
know that I can always feel theses things when I pray and read the
scriptures it is so essential to do these things because He has asked
us to do it. I know that Joseph Smith restored this gospel and with
out him and his curiosity I wouldn't be able to know what it is like
to have so much love and so much faith in our Father. I wouldn't give
up this gospel for anything in the world it means so much to me I love
it so much that I am forever grateful to those who have influenced my
life because of this gospel. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter Day Saints is the true church, and that when we meet every
Sunday as brother and sisters to renew our covenants that we made with
our Heavenly father we will fill the spirit and have our testimony and
faith built stronger. And I hope that each of you are blessed with
these things and if not we can always work towards them with prayer
and scripture study and I say these things in the name of Jesus
Christ. Amen.

     I am so blessed to have been able to teach amazing people. I
love all of them and have learned so much from all of them. I love
this gospel can never deny it's truth.
         Love sister Johnson.






No comments:

Post a Comment