Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Letter #2 & #3 from Sister Tiffany Johnson

From: Tiffany Johnson <tiffanyj@myldsmail.net>
Subject: Re: first email:)
Date: September 17, 2013 2:51:32 PM PDT
To: Scott Johnson <Scott4599@sbcglobal.net>

I am in ROSEVILLE!!!!  I woke up at 2:30am (only sleeping 2hours) and board the train to Salt Lake City.  When I was boarding the plan I realized that my seat was not going to be by anyone I knew. So I thought to myself, this is a defining moment. Am I going to hold my head up high and say I am a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints or am I going to hide my testimony because of fear and say nothing. Then the words of my MTC teacher came to my mind (Brother Starkie) he said " when ever I fly I sit in the middle to I have two opportunities to share this gospel. This is what the Lord wants me to do." I know that this is what the lord wants me to do. My name is no longer Tiffany it is Sister Johnson. I am a disciple of Christ and I am going to share his gospel.  Right after I made up my mind that I was going to talk to whomever sat next to me a large man who looks exactly like Uncle John sat down beside me. Since I was sitting next to a window I knew this man was going to be the lucky man I was going to talk to for the next hour and a half. I took a deep deep breathe and tried to hide my fears. I didn't even have to start the conversation he turned to me and said "I promise I don't bite." So I looked him straight in the eye and said "even if you did I am not afraid. I have been bitten by students in the past and am still living." That sparked the conversation or should I say him just talking to me haha. He just talked and talked about how he was a teacher and how hard it was. He also taught some students with autism. Then he started saying things that would normally scare me. He talked about how he is very educated and loves to read books. He was very philosophical and said he never loses an argument. Instead of getting scared I just responded by saying its a good thing I am not hear to argue anything with you. He than asked me a question that at first I didn't know how to answer. He asked what would you teach me? I prayed and thought hum.. I didn't know what but I just went with my heart. I just said I would teach you that God loves you and that he has a purpose for you. He then opened up to me saying that he is bipolar and has thoughts of suicide often. He even shared with me how he would take his life. But I couldn't hear it anymore and I just said don't. I explained that my heart would break if he did and so would his daughters. He than said I have to show you what keeps me from stopping myself. He showed me a picture of is daughter laughing and dancing with her friends. I chocked back the tears and said "That is worth living for to me". He than asked " I can't figure it out why are Mormon's more successful than everyone else." I then taught that it was because we live life in a positive outlook. We know our purpose and love our families. We would do all that we can for them but understand spending time with them is the best things we can do for them. He said that he agreed, he loved how important families are to the church. We talked about this a little more until I found out why he was going to California. It turns out that his wife's aunt has cancer and needs help but the most touching thing about this is she is a mormon. He knew about the Book of Mormon and said that he was planning on reading it to her if she asked. I pray that she not only asks but begs him to read it to her. He than pulled out a note pad and I thought he was wanting to end the conversation. But I wanted to talk to him so much more about the church and give him a pass along card. So I kept asking him questions just trying to find the time to give him the card. Then I said can I give you something. He looked at me and said Sister Johnson I pulled this note pad out a while ago because I want your contact information. I want to check up on you and hear about the work you are doing. I was so shocked and filled with joy. We exchange information and I then slipped in mormon.org and that he can show his aunt amazing mormon messages videos online. I promised him they would make her and him happy. I love the note he left me. It is now a constant reminder that the lord does know me and puts people in my life for a reason. I pray that John and I keep in touch that he will understand his purpose and know of gods love. I will keep you posted on the progress of this story because I know its not the end. My president said that I have to write him and I get to decided when to send missionaries to him. But heres the funny part of the story the man told me his name as we were walking away. Any guesses???? Well his name is John I just laughed and said of coarse it is. I know that I wasn't afraid of him because to me it was like talking to Uncle John.

               I love this Gospel and I love my Mission president. I am Home.

                             Sister Johnson
 
 
 
 
From: Tiffany Johnson <tiffanyj@myldsmail.net>
Subject: Re: bike etc.
Date: September 30, 2013 11:38:08 AM PDT
To: Scott Johnson <Scott4599@sbcglobal.net>

Hello Family and Friends,
   I have completed another week in the field. It was over all a good week. Will riding around after our appointments had canceled we felt like visiting a few people on our less active list that we had never met. So we road across town as fast a possible because it was already 8pm. The first home we got to was Sister Berger, she answered the door and was so excited to see that it was not only missionaries but sister missionaries. She said she had to go to bed but wants to visit with us this week. So we exchanged numbers and have plans to see her in a few days. We had time for one more home so we skimmed through the list and saw the name Brother Ryan. So we went to his home, non of the lights were on but we decided to knock anyways. After minutes of waiting we thought well they must be asleep so we started to walk away. Then the door slowly opened and we saw Brother Ryan a 76 year old man. We were so excited we spit out who we were and looked to his face to see his reaction. In response he said "I have been thinking its about time to go back to church". So he invites us in. He said that he was about to go to bed when he heard our knocks and  thought it was worth answering. Then he went on to explain that he was born and raised in Utah. But when he was fourteen he moved to California with his Dad when his parents got divorced. They didn't know where the church was so they just never went. That was the last time he had been to church. He also explained that his wife passed away last year and now he is living with his daughter and her family. He explained that when these things happen you start realizing the things that are really important. So we said you are so right and we committed him to coming to church with us on Sunday.
    Saturday night as we were thinking about Brother Ryan coming to church we thought, he really needs a fellow shipper. So we called Brother Faith, his wife passed away earlier this year so we thought they would be a good match. When we called him he was so excited to hear about Brother Ryan and his story. He said that he had been praying for a calling or for something that would help him stay busy in good things. So he happily accepted.
   Sunday finally came. And there Brother Ryan was sitting with Brother Faith ready for the sacrament to start. And to our surprise his granddaughter came as well. It was so amazing seeing them there. Along with two other less active members we invited and 3 other investigators. I truly felt that we had done the lords work that week and we were able to see the success of our work in this meeting. My favorite part however, was during sacrament. Brother Ryan saw the young deacons begin to pass the sacrament and got so excited. He turned to Brother Faith and said "I remember this, that was me so many years  ago. I used to pass the sacrament. Everything is the same."   Because he is older he wasn't really whispering so everyone heard him. But it was so sweet and the spirit hit me so hard. I know that the Lord knew Brother Ryan and knew he was ready to go to church that Sunday. I am so thankful that we were in a position were we could feel the spirit and act. We now have an appointment this week to not only teach Brother Ryan but also his 15year old Granddaughter.
  The Lord really does answer prayers. He answered ours, Brother Ryan, and Brother Faith's prayer. It was like a chain reaction of miracle after miracle. I know that we were inspired this week to visit the people that we saw. I pray that we can continue to stay close to the spirit so that we can help strengthen each of these individuals testimonies in the savior. Though the work is hard; seeing the faces of those we are teaching feel the spirit for even just a moment washes away any sadness I am feeling.
   Pray for this same guidance from the savior. There are people all around you who are praying for help, comfort, guidance and you may be the answer to many of those prayers. Live in a way that you can be Christ assistant. You don't need to be on a mission to be a missionary. Follow the spirit with exactness and watch the miracles that will unfold all around you. I love each of you and am so thankful for the examples you have been in my life.
                            Love always,
                                  Sister Johnson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment