Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Letter from Sister Tiffany Johnson, December 3, 2013

Hello Family,

This week has been full of adventures. To start we were at a less active members home for dinner Tuesday, her husband is our investigator. However, during dinner he got extremely light headed and couldn't get up. So the ambulance was called and he was taken to the hospital. It was really awkward for us because we couldn't really do anything. But I had an impression to ask the wife if she would like the ward to bring dinner for the next couple of days. She said yes and thanked us. So the ward stepped up to the plate and brought over some dinners. It was good for the family to see how the ward could help them and they are happy to have us over this week. The husband was having internal bleeding but is doing much better now. I know that we were supposed to be their at that moment even though it was awkward, but we were able to calm down there kids (teenagers) and help them feel supported by the ward.

The next day we were on the worst street of our area (Melton) teaching Daniel when all of a sudden there neighbor came running out crying and calling the ambulance to come save her sister. It turned out this lady we know was having blood clots and the same guys that picked up our investigator from the night before were there to pick up Brenda. They looked at as funny. But it was a miracle we were there as well because Brenda's family looked at us and said "we need you help, we need you to pray for Brenda." So we went inside and knelt down around a coffee table was full of ashes, cigarettes, and different drugs. At the end of the prayer, I looked up at Brenda's niece and she just started to say "wow this is crazy I have goose bumps everywhere." We than taught a little about who we are and what we do. We went to check on this family the next day and Brenda was home and just started thanking us for praying for her. She than said that she needed us to pray with her for her aunt and that she wanted to go to church with us. So we said a prayer and talked with her for a little while. Before leaving I invited her to a baptism for another ward that night. She said she would love to go and she also wanted to bring her niece a little 8 year old named Arissa. They came to the baptism and it was such a spiritual experience Arissa loved it. She thought it was really cool and begged me to introduce her to the elder who in her words "dunked that lady". So Elder Johnson talked with her about baptism and he took a picture with her. She was so excited and felt so special. She said she would like to go to church with us.

Though each of these experiences were pretty odd we were able to pick up 7 new investigators. I love how God works, I never know why I am some where but I know that he has a plan for me and my companion. I will keep you guys posted on the progress of these individuals.

I had an amazing Thanksgiving with a crazy, blunt older lady that is less active in the ward. She is a smoker and the smell of her home just stains our clothes. But it was so fun having thanksgiving with just the three of us. We cooked together and when we were pulling the food out of the oven she literally jumped for joy saying "its going to be good, its going to be good" it was really cute. We spent the evening listening to her life story and laughing our heads off. At the end of the night she looked at me and said "You want to come over for Christmas?" At that moment I had an overwhelming feeling of love towards her and knew I had to say yes. Though it would be nice to have Christmas in a nice home that doesn't smell like smoke, I knew it was more important to spend it with this single sister.

Friday night my companion crashed her bike into a trash can. It was awful having to watch her go down and not be able to help. So I ran over to her, picked her up and then fixed her bike. She hurt her arm pretty bad so we had to call it an early night. The next morning we tried going out on our bikes again but she crashed again. So we decided to put the bikes away and walk. This made everything difficult because we don't live in our area and we had appointments all over town. So we were late and had to cancel some of them. I know that with everything there is something to learn. We now have to rely on the ward a lot to drive us around. They have been really supportive and have helped us out a lot. Another benefit was that since we were on foot we were able to talk to a lot more people and even stopped by our investigators Ashley's home randomly since we were walking past it. It was a miracle that she was home because we haven't been able to contact her for the last two weeks. She was happy to see us and set up two appointments with her for this week. One of the lessons I am most excited for was set up for Saturday. I actually took a leap of faith and scheduled that lesson for Ashley before talking with her because earlier that morning I was talking with Brooke (my recent 15 year old convert) and invited her to be a missionary with us for a couple of hours on Saturday. I knew it would be good to have Brooke go to a lesson with Ashley because they go to the same school but we had not spoken with Ashley in a long time. So I looked at my schedule pretending there was a lesson written down and said "You should come with us Saturday at 4, we have a great lesson planned". Brooke was so excited and said yes and I was just praying we could get a hold of Ashley and she would be able to have a lesson at that time. Miracles do happen because it was just a few hours later when we were able to get a hold of Ashley and she just so happened to be free Saturday at 4. :D I love when things just work out. I know that this is the Lords work and that he is the one guiding us.

I love you guys and love this gospel. Keep up the great work.

Love sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment