Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Letter from Sister Tiffany Johnson, December 17, 2013

Hello Everyone,
     Well my NEW companion is Sister Woods. She is from England and because of that she has a strong accent. People in our area have a hard time understanding her and so they look to me for translation. Haha Luckily I understand her just fine, it must be because God put us together as companions. I do at times struggle understanding what she is asking for because they refer to things differently in England. So for example last night she asked me if we had "100 and 1000s" I asked if she meant a 100 grand bar? She looked at me like I was the crazy one and then kept saying 100 and 1000s like I would know what she was talking about. After about a half hour of what seemed like the weirdest game of charades I figured out she was talking about SPRINKLES! So shopping together is interesting. But she is a really sweet girl and is really nice to wake up earlier than we have to so I can work out. (She hates working out so it is really nice that she makes the sacrifice for me).
       Our area is blowing up. Its been one miracle after another. Our first day together we had an appointment with Tasha and her daughters. (They are getting baptized in 2 weeks) For the last couple of days I had been praying for help as to how I could get Tasha's little sister Sierra to start taking the lessons with us. Finally that night I felt inspired that it was time. So I asked if she would join us. She told me that she will just sit in the other room and listen. As I was about to start the lesson I felt the spirit tell me that it wasn't good enough for her to just sit in the other room and that she needed to be involved in the lesson. So I got up, took a deep breath and said while handing her a pamphlet. We are going to read the first paragraph together and I am going to be asking you a question. She looked at me a little shocked and then I smile. As I walked back to my seat in the kitchen she got up and followed me to the kitchen. The lesson went amazing she was really receptive and opened up to us about her thoughts and feelings. My companion then invited her to be baptized. Sierra gave a hesitant sure and tried to leave it at that. I felt like she should set a date though so not knowing what day I walk to the calendar and just pointed to a random date and asked her if she would prepare herself to be baptized this day. She looked at me then at the day. She gave me a nervous sure. Then she looked back at the day and just stared at it. The spirit filled the room as everyone just watched her in silence. Sierra began to cry and whispered YES. It was amazing the spirit was so strong. The date that we set with her is January 25th. We know get to opportunity to help prepare her for this date. I don't believe that I did anything special but I know that God really wanted to teach Sierra that night and I luckily just got to be a part of it. My companion and I literally skipped for joy to our bikes and where then embarrassed to realize that the family had followed us out and they were laughing and saying good bye to us.
    The miracles didn't stop there. When we got to the apartment I realized we had a missed call. I quickly called the number back and heard a familiar voice on the phone saying "Sister Johnson, I am so glad to hear from you. Do you remember me?" I thought and thought and then was filled with joy when I realized that it was Brian and young man we met months ago at a less active members home. We had given had talked to him a little about our beliefs but were unable to set up a return appointment and he didn't have a phone but we got his address. A few weeks later we were riding past his home and I felt like we should stop and check on him. But I kept riding, the feeling didn't leave. I turned to look back at his apartment, there he was riding his bike towards us. I was so caught off guard I didn't know what to say so I said HI. He looked at me and asked how we were doing. Sadly he was late to work and speed off before I could set up a time we could come teach him. I felt awful that I didn't immediately follow the promptings of the spirit and I thought that possible that I might have just blown a great opportunity with teaching Brian. Over the next few weeks his name would come to mind and I would just feel bad about it because I didn't do as I was asked. But now here he was calling us, he explained on the phone that he just bought a phone and asked his friends for our number. He said that he doesn't know why but felt like we could help him and direct him on the right path. I literally ran across the apartment and pulled out my planner and said "when can we come over?" He laughed and we were able to set up an appointment. It was incredible! The lesson with him went very well, he asked a lot of good questions and committed to read the Book of Mormon. He also gave us a soft commitment to be baptized if he finds it to be true. So keep him in your prayers.
   Here is a funny story for you guys.So this morning I woke up at 12:30. I felt awful and jumped out of bed calling out to my companion saying "o my goodness we slept in till midday. Hurry get up we have to get to work." I than ran to the window and looked out to see that it was still really dark. My companion was in a daze in her bed saying but its still dark outside. My heart was racing so fast that I just couldn't focus and I told her no its midday we have to get going, I can't believe we slept in so late. I felt like the worst trainer.  Than when I took a moment to slow down and looked at Sister Woods she explained to me that it was not midday but that it was 12:30 in the morning. Now my feelings of fear were replaced with embarrassment. When I woke up at the correct time in the morning I hoped that last nights crazy fest was just a dream and that Sister Woods didn't think I was crazy. But while we were eating breakfast, she looked at me and said Remember when you went completely crazy last night and started running around the house. Haha We had a good laugh about it and just decided that I was crazy but she will keep me as her companion anyways.  I think being a trainer is stressing me out and my night panic attack last night is proof of that.
    Know that I love all of you and Love my mission. It is amazing being able to give the best Christmas gift of all which is the GOSPEL. This is the true church, the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Don't be scared to share it. Miracles are happening everyday and not just to the people wearing the missionary badge.
             Stay close to the spirit and never hesitate or doubt what you are feeling prompted to do.
                    LOVE ALWAYS,
                            Sister Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment